Monday, January 3, 2011

January: Eat From the Pantry Challenge

I've been stocking up when grocery items are at rock-bottom prices.  My pantry shelves are full, and I'm so thankful for the deals and coupons that have made it possible!  I appreciate having a well-stocked pantry.  It has served my family and many others very well.

But this month, I want to focus my energy on making sure I'm making use of the items I've gotten such great deals on!  I'm not planning to clean out the pantry, just to make use of what I have in an effort to buy less.  I'm planning to make meals using mostly what we have on hand through January.  We'll buy perishables as needed and might even stock up on other items that go on sale during the month if it's something we will need.

My Goals for the Month:

Spend $60 or less per week
We're well-stocked on many items, including meat.  I'll use this to focus on produce, milk, cheese and yogurt (we're running low), any other items at stock-up prices and possibly chicken if there's a great deal.

Get creative with the ingredients we have on hand.
I'm not afraid of substitutions!  I'll save the few bucks on that one last ingredient and find a substitute I already have on hand.  Thank goodness we for Google and a Betty Crocker cookbook!

Create and work from a month-long Meal Plan to stay on track
We're a pretty easy going family, so I tend to wing it more often than I should.  Meal planning is simple and easy, and so worth it!  Simple planning means I can buy that missing necessary ingredient when and where I choose rather than at the last minute at full price.  Have you noticed that when meals are planned in advance you can avoid (or at least most of the time) that 4:00-5:00 Crazy hour?  I feel much more peaceful going about the day when meals are planned for and I know I have what I need. 

Make double (or more) of 4 meals this month for the freezer
It's been a sad few months without meals in my freezer.  I'd like to have a few meals planned and prepared, ready to throw in the oven or crockpot!

Use my (handy dandy) crockpot 4 times this month
I don't use this amazing appliance enough!  I'm excited to use it today for Chipotle-style carnitas that we'll use in burritos!

Here's the Menu:

Breakfasts
  • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins - pureed squash from the freezer, chocolate chips from pantry
  • Oatmeal
  • Ham Souffle - leftover ham
  • Eggs
  • Oatmeal Pancakes - Quaker Pancake mix
  • Waffles
  • Zucchini Muffins - shredded zucchini from the freezer
Lunches
Our lunches are pretty simple.  We often have salads, sandwiches or just leftovers.

Dinners
  • Carnitas for burritos (crockpot) - cilantro, rice, pork roast
  • Split Pea Soup - we have a ham bone to use, I'm looking for a good recipe!
  • Chicken, Gravy and Veggies over Biscuits - buttermilk, vegetables, chicken
  • Stir Fry - cabbage, veggies on hand with linguine noodles
  • Lasagna (double) - will use pasta and sauce from the pantry and cottage cheese I picked up last week at SunMart marked down and with a coupon!
  • Panko Crusted Fish Sticks - tilapia from the freezer
  • Tuscan Chicken with Artichokes (crockpot) - artichokes, zucchini and tomatoes on hand
  • Beans and Rice (crockpot) 
  • Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (double) - cream cheese from the freezer and green enchilada sauce from the pantry
  • Penne Chicken Alfredo (double the sauce) - quick cook pasta, cream
  • Homemade Pizza 
  • Tuna Noodle Casserole (double) - tuna pouches amd noodles from the pantry, peas from the freezer
  • White Chicken Chili (double) - will use white beans
  • Taco Soup and Cornbread - all items from freezer and pantry
  • Cabbage Rolls (crockpot) - will use cabbage, beef and tomato sauce
Are you up for a Pantry Challenge?

I'd love to have your company in this Pantry Challenge.  You set your own terms.  Maybe a week is enough for you, or maybe you just need to find a use for several of those boxes of Quick Cook Pasta (I know I do!).  Maybe a Pantry Challenge isn't possible for you in January, but February works for you.  Do what works for you and your family!

As soon as I made my monthly meal plan, Jessica, from LifeAsMom.com announced a Pantry Challenge over at Good Cheap Eats  Check her out for meal ideas and freezer cooking inspiration!  She'll post a Pantry Challenge link-up on Tuesday, and I'll remind you here if you want to check out others meal plans for inspiration!

5 comments:

  1. I bought totinos last Thurs at Sunmart & got home to be reminded that I didn't have room for them in my freezer. Oops! Def need to eat out of the freezers this month! My plan for today is to review past month-long meal plans & create a meal plan for this month. Glad youre here to keep me on task (not that my freezer would allow me npot too!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious what you mean by "$60/week" -- do you mean groceries? Gas? Utilities? Dining? Phone? Dish? I'm guessing it can't mean all that, because that's not much/week for all that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question. The $60/week includes groceries and miscellaneous non-food expenses (think dishwasher soap and toiletries). We have separate budget lines for utilities, eating out/entertainment and gas for the cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://goodcheapeats.com/2009/06/good-cheap-eat-beans-and-rice/
    She has links in this post for both not refried beans and mexican rice both could put the mexican restaurants in town to shame. My kids love this as there are so many options. Think a salad, tostados, burritos, or plain. The beans freeze very well.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I made lasagna with the cottage cheese too. Great idea.. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete